- The theory in fly fishing has been when it is dark, fish light, and when it is light, fish dark. This rings true both in lighting conditions and water quality conditions.
- The Black Out is here to help change that thought a bit.
- Typically a darker pattern is more difficult for a fish to see in dark condition.
- This pattern uses UV thread, red wire, and a light tail to help counteract that.
- The end result is a dark silhouette fly with "hot" colors to attract the fish.
- This combination has been especially lethal when fishing in the Czech/euro style of nymphing.